Sunday, January 26, 2014

This is water.

Living in the city can be frustrating. The days can be long and the crowds can grow tiring. The noise and movement get old and my job downright exhausts me. Lately I've been thinking about routine. Routine. Routine. Routine. Monotonous adult life which I have been running from since I can remember has still found a way to creep up on me and take over my days. Work, grocery shopping, laundry, budgeting, bills, student loans and student loans and student loans. Moving out of the country did not (as I'll admit part of me secretly hoped) stop responsibility and monotony from having a strong presence in my daily life. But these are realities and they will not go away. And what I struggle with is not trying to ignore or change the realities of monotonous adult life, but to accept them and live with them with acceptance, graciousness and patience. To accept the realities and keep perspective at all times that while I may not be able to change the at times monotonous responsibility of everyday life, I do have complete choice over my attitude, my acceptance, and my actions.

This commencement speech sums things up perfectly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment